Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pinched Neck = Low Productivity


For some strange reason my neck has been bugging me for the past couple of weeks. It has done this before, but usually it has something to do with straining it playing sports. Since that's not even a thing for me this summer, I don't know what's going on... but I do know I hate it. This morning I woke up and could barely move my head and arms, so I decided to take a bit of a sabbatical from the keyboard. I'm just going to be at my desk long enough to post a short blog piece then I think I am going to have to get a heating pad on it. If it keeps up, I could have a real problem. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Happy kitty outside her fort
Because my buddy has kept me company all day while I've been suffering, I've decided to dedicate yet another blog to her - although some of these pictures were from yesterday. Last week Sarah made Addie a "kitty fort" out of her two tunnels (one large and one small) and a fleecy blanket. Addie loves her tunnels and the addition of the blanket has sent her over the moon, because she loves being covered up. Yesterday she spent some time on the floor outside of the fort, though, at first rolling around just clear of the blanket as you can see and then settling down on the carpet right in front of where I was sitting on the couch. This put her directly in the air flow of the window a/c, however, and eventually she got too cold to stay there. I thought this would have made her get back under the blanket, but Addie took a different tack toward solving the problem.


"Pull up a stool and have a chat!"
She headed straight to the curtains and slipped under them to find a nice, hot patch of sunlight under her stool (yes, "her" stool) and warmed up there for a while. I snuck over to see her after she'd settled in and discovered that she had "bellied up to the bar" after a fashion. I thought this was absolutely adorable and, of course, I took so many pictures that she eventually grew restless and threatened to leave. I put the curtain back just in time and she settled down again, staying in the sunlight for quite a while. I'm looking at this picture again tonight and I am still chuckling at the sight of how casual she is. Looks like she's waiting on a pitcher of milk and a bowl of treats. What a nutter. Addie most certainly thinks she's people.


I'm jealous: my neck won't fold that way...
Today Addie, I think, could tell that I wasn't feeling up to snuff, so she spent almost all day in plain sight. I imagine it was equal parts to comfort me and to keep an eye on me in case I suddenly got up and moved somewhere else and needed to be looked after there instead. Addie is one of the best and most devoted babysitters I have ever had. She eventually ran out of patience with me, though, because Sarah was out late tonight at a work function and, in the middle of the evening, Addie started walking around and meowing, looking for attention. If she would just let me pick her up and cuddle her things would be so much easier...but then she'd probably not be as much of a "nurturer" then. You can't have everything. I'll choose the Addie we do have, no regrets whatsoever.


On a more sombre note, I read a horrifying article in the Star online today about Marineland in Niagara Falls and the condition of many, if not all, of their animals. As I mentioned in my most recent blog piece about the Zoo, "I do not care for circuses or any environment where animals are on display for purely entertainment purposes." Marineland fits this description to a T and I have only ever visited there once in my life (and never shall return). I don't have the heart to write a longer piece about this tragedy just now, but once more information comes to light I guarantee you I will. Today I just wanted to raise a little awareness of what's happening there. Good people are starting to rally; perhaps by the time I write a full piece changes will already have been made. But the only change I would really be happy with is the closure of Marineland completely. I do not care for performing animals at the best of times and this is most certainly not the best of times.

2 comments:

  1. Of all the cats I've ever lived with, Addie actually sun-bathes the least! It is really impressive to see her seeking out sunlight in your photo. I think she gets hot really easily because her fur is fairly dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She likes to sometimes find a dull patch of sunlight far, far away from the window. And then there are times like Tuesday afternoon where she thinks she's Hobbes and goes from freezing cold to boiling hot in a matter of moments. I've given up trying to figure out her comfort zone. :)

      Delete

I've kept my comments open and moderation-free for many years, but I've been forced to now review them before they post due to the actions of one member of my family. I apologize for having to take this stance, but that's the way the world is headed, sad to say. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...