Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Big Day for The Grumpy Penguin


Not an optical illusion: the sign Sarah made for my "office"
This won't be a long post tonight because I have spent pretty much this entire day creating content (and much of it about myself) and I really am just about out of energy. But I didn't want to miss the chance to mark this very auspicious occasion in my life and the life of the new company known as The Grumpy Penguin. At about 4:30 p.m. today my business website went "live" and I'm pretty jazzed about it, let me tell you. I am expecting an article to come out in the Career section of the Toronto Sun tomorrow and I really wanted to have a visible presence on the web (other than this blog) before that happened. With the help of Paul Chato and his crack staff at Your Web Department, the past few weeks of tinkering and creating and tweaking and worrying became a really fine website within mere minutes of telling them "let's do it". They even set up the web domain for me in that time; it was really very, very impressive indeed. (Even having Paul call the site "The Rusty Ookpik" was a nice touch: it gave me a chance to take a breath and remember that this is supposed to be fun, this "legacy career".)


Sarah at our celebratory dinner tonight
I owe a great deal of thanks to Lisa Taylor at the Challenge Factory (and Karen Siwak for some of the content currently on the site and more still to come). There are a great many friends and family members that have been yelling encouragement all along this path, too many to name here but I hope they know I greatly appreciate their support and good thoughts. But there is one person without whom this endeavour would never have been more than a gleam in my eye: my partner, my love, the incredible Sarah Gledhill. Her beautiful graphics are what brings life to the website; she spent hours lovingly creating my logo and background images, as well as helping to make The Grumpy Penguin to be visually appealing (at least from the early accounts of the first visitors). However things turn out from here for my business it has to be said that it never would have stood a chance without her unconditional love and support. Tonight after the site went online for the first time we took off for a celebratory dinner and actually relaxed over our food for the first time in weeks.


I will wind this post up here as we still have vacation-type things to do with the rest of this week and I don't want to be lagging behind Sarah at the Zoo. But I just want to say, without further ado: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Grumpy Penguin. Please check it out and let me know what you think; I will greatly appreciate any comments whether positive, negative, constructive or just plain "meh". Everything helps at this point.

And thanks for being along for this ride so far. If it wasn't for this blog, there would be no website.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the website and business launch, Steve! Can't wait to see how this next chapter unfolds - and to read your content on websites and in brochures all over the place!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Steve! Way to go! I am looking forward to hearing about the next stage of this undertaking. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mom. :) I can't even begin to describe how much your support has meant to both of us over the years.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the launch of your business and your website! That company title is definitely attention-grabbing. I think it’s great that you’ve put up this kind of business. So much of a business’s success hinges on how well it reaches potential customers, thus the recent proliferation of SEOs and online marketing groups. Good luck with your new business venture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the colors of your website! I think it goes great with the name of your business! More and more businesses are coming online, so I think you guys will attain some success and popularity very quickly! I know a lot of SEO businesses do their own optimization for themselves, so I think that would be a great way for you to start as well.

    ReplyDelete

I've kept my comments open and moderation-free for many years, but I've been forced to now review them before they post due to the actions of one member of my family. I apologize for having to take this stance, but that's the way the world is headed, sad to say. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...