Monday, July 30, 2012

Striking a Fine Balance


I've been pretty lax in writing blog posts the past little while. I was afraid this might happen when I finally broke my string of consecutive posting days last weekend while we were camping. On the other hand, it's more likely that the effort of trying to get The Grumpy Penguin website off the ground has left little time for much else, creativity-wise. I still hope to have it (my website) live by August 1, the day the article for which I was interviewed comes out in the Sun. Wish me luck, because I feel like it's going to be a very long day tomorrow.


On top of that this past weekend was a whirlwind. In the first place, both of my kids were with us (a rare treat) and I spent as much time with them as possible. On Saturday, Sarah and I went to the 6th birthday party of a wonderful little girl who was adopted into our extended family from China 5 years ago. (I also forgot to bring my camera so there are no pictures from that event; I really must be getting old or something.) On Sunday we put together a "thank you" dinner for my kids as a reward for all their help in looking after Addie the couple of times we've been away this summer. We managed to squeeze in a game of "Settlers of Catan", which is a terrific board game that Tim got for his birthday. Today the kids and I kind of hung out; I probably should have been working on the website, but I'm not sure when we'll next get to do this and I hate to miss these chances. Tim and I saw the absolutely terrible Hobo with a Shotgun this morning before Jill got up; if you get the chance to watch it might I suggest you just drive a tent peg through your hand instead. You will prefer that, trust me. We spent the afternoon playing on the Wii and watching the Olympics.

Sarah's taking some time off from work starting on Wednesday and we hope to get to the Zoo, the Picasso exhibit at the AGO, maybe Canada's Wonderland: just a bunch of day trips as we think of them. She goes back on the 13th and if she's not relaxed by then I think I'm going to be in a fair bit of trouble.

Apropos of nothing - because I'll never need a reason to post these kinds of pictures - here's another really sweet shot of Addie:

Lying in a current of fresh air, waiting for mommy and dinner


That was taken last Thursday evening as Addie waited for "mommy" to come home. She has been super-cute since we got back from camping and was absolutely in her glory this weekend with a house full of people who love her. Lucky girl.

Well, that's it for now. I was going to write something about RoFo's meeting with Will and Zach today but you know...it really would have been nothing new. Maybe something cool will happen at the Olympics tomorrow because I think they've been kind of dull up to now and you know I'm an Olympic Games junkie. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. Did you already hear about the "Sculling Sloth" at the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Not sure how I feel about it this time, though. I understand it's the Olympic spirit to give your best and always finish a race no matter what but this might be a little over-the-top. This guy is 35 years old and started rowing three months ago. When they interviewed him he said his technique wasn't very good but he was picking up valuable experience and would get better after many years. Um...no, he won't. Did I mention he's thirty-five years old? This is not a case of someone pursuing a life-long dream under horrifying circumstances...at least, that's not the story that I have been reading. If I am wrong about that, then please correct me. This just seems to be something that is drawing the press' attention away from athletes (in this case, rowers) that have actually dedicated years of their lives for this one shot at Olympic gold. Picking up a new sport three months before the Olympics is not a story to be glorified, in my opinion. It's a farce.

      At least there's very little chance of him killing himself (he's not ski jumping, like Eddie the Eagle), unless he has a heart attack during a heat.

      Delete
  2. Addie is the cuttest little cat i have ever seen! Cant wait to come see her!

    ReplyDelete

I've kept my comments open and moderation-free for many years, but I've been forced to now review them before they post due to the actions of one member of my family. I apologize for having to take this stance, but that's the way the world is headed, sad to say. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...