Saturday, April 28, 2012

Petitions and Protests Galore

Today in the States it's "Unite Against the War on Women" day with marches, rallies and speeches all across the country. Great stuff and Twitter has been alive with reports from several locations. This is definitely something I can get behind; perhaps there will be a similar set of events in Canada if Stephen Woodworth's motion is passed. If so, count me in. In the meantime, there is this petition being sent around by the Federal Liberal Agency of Canada (registered agent for the Liberal Party of Canada). Although it says in the body of the petition that you only had 24 hours to sign it, I believe it's a good idea to go ahead and make your voice heard.


I have been sent or stumbled onto several other petitions and bits of information about protests in the past several days and I thought it might be a good idea to synthesize them all here. If you have other petitions that you wish to add, please feel free to do so in the comments section.



There are a lot of "stop animal cruelty" petitions out there at all times but, perhaps surprisingly given my position on animal welfare in general, I don't put a lot of stock in many of them - perhaps because they are overly-alarmist and quite shrill in my view. However, there are many others that catch my attention - such as this one passed along to me by change-dot-org, concerning Tim Hortons and where it buys its eggs and pork products.




Pennies for Katimavik is, according to its Facebook page, "a campaign with the goal of raising funds and awareness for Katimavik in order to help the program to continue its great work." There's a good article here with more information on this terrific initiative.






And for something a little more fun, there is this petition put forth by Wendy's Restaurants of Canada to make poutine our national dish. Thanks to Ronna's Poutine Chronicles blog (also linked to in the sidebar on the right) for pointing me in this direction.




As I mentioned, if you have another protest, petition or cause you feel strongly about please share it in the comments to this post. Canadians need to stay vigilant - perhaps more now than ever before in our history.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've kept my comments open and moderation-free for many years, but I've been forced to now review them before they post due to the actions of one member of my family. I apologize for having to take this stance, but that's the way the world is headed, sad to say. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...