Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Last Saturday Was Funked Up

I realize I'm kind of being anti-chronological here, but I wanted to give a couple of shout-outs to some friends of mine for events of the past weekend.

First of all, I posted last spring about the tribulations I was going through while coaching in the East York Minor Hockey Association (where I had been doing so for 9 years). Things became so bad that I decided I had had enough and took this year off. (Well, in point of fact I said "I am not returning if the convenor isn't replaced"....and pretty much had to keep my word when the old guard all returned.)

My coaching partner, Jeff Seccull, was able to see past the nonsense and did return, coaching the Philadelphia team of 11- and 12-year-olds once again. There were finally some changes made to the way the EYHA "balanced" the teams during the season - ironically, changes that were brought about specifically because of my diligence a year earlier which cause some strife in the league and which the convenor grumpily alluded to in an early meeting this year (according to my sources!) - and as Jeff is easily the best coach at this level the league has had in years, of course his team won the Little Stanley Cup last Saturday. Here's a shot of Jeff with the Cup - the first time he has ever won it!


I very much missed coaching this year and especially working with Jeff. Congratulations to him and the Philadelphia team for winning the championship - and I greatly appreciate him letting me know they were in the finals so Sarah and I could make our way over and cheer them on the past two Saturdays.


Later on Saturday Sarah and I went down to the Cadillac Lounge (after some quality time with our good friends, Alex, Julie and Zoe) to see Project Phoenix bring their own brand of funkified sound to the streets.




Led by Bruce Wright, big brother to one of my best friends, Michael, this group has been getting feet moving for many years under more than one title (at one point, they were called the "Brass Routes"). They hold down a prime spot during the Beaches Jazz Fest every July on the corner of Queen and Glen Manor in front of the Royal LePage office. Their repertoire is large and always morphing and expanding - including songs by Earth, Wind and Fire, The Parliament Funkadelic, Al Green, Tower of Power, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder and even Steely Dan. Check them out if you get a chance; they play fairly frequently at the Cadillac Lounge but it's probably better to check the club's website for the information as the band's own site is a little outdated!


Now I'm looking forward to taking this Nikon Coolpix P500 sitting on my desk for a test run - my longest-suffering friend Kemp lent it to me for a week or two to see how I like it. I am in the market for a really good point-and-click while I save up to get the digital SLR that I crave. Pix to follow as I take them; I smell another trip to the Zoo in the near future! (Or maybe I just need to change Addie's litter....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've kept my comments open and moderation-free for many years, but I've been forced to now review them before they post due to the actions of one member of my family. I apologize for having to take this stance, but that's the way the world is headed, sad to say. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...